10.13.2010

An observation

A few days ago someone called me a young lady. Young Lady.

I kind of have a problem with that. (Obviously. I'm thinking about it a few days later)

I didn't tell the person that it bothered me for fear of being rude.

I also didn't tell him that he brought me back to those awkward years as a middle schooler who'd just lost a baby tooth within the frame of her smile.

(that totally happened to me. A baby tooth...as an eighth grader. Can you imagine?)

This person wasn't even that old. I wonder what he would have done if I told him I was 27.

In his defense, I was sans makeup, hair in a pony tail, wearing gym clothes. Had I been in a dress and heels maybe he would have reconsidered the statement.

I vow to never call anyone a young lady ever again. Or young man. Couldn't possibly be any better. Any guys read this here blog? Do you want anyone calling you a young man if you're well into your twenties?

Maybe I should stop talking about my age.
OK, thanks.

Just for reference, the picture below was taken Dec 21, 2002 (Gretchie's wedding day) We were 19 and 18. Maybe, you could have called me a young lady then, maybe.


Thanks for reading friends.

3 comments:

Mrs. Blimes said...

Sadly, I would have taken it as a HUGE compliment! Recently I asked someone how old they thought I was and they guessed dead on. I thought I was gonna cry. I want to be a young lady forever! LOL

Gretchen J'Deene said...

I love the picture!!! My wedding day! That was a great day! And it doesn't matter how old you are...you are gorgeous!!:)

Kim said...

I would have taken it as a compliment too! :) "Young lady" just sounds endearing to me:)