10.06.2010

An Accidental Ruffle Scarf and Chico's Inspired Pin

Remember how I ranted in my last post about a failed sewing project? Well, I decided that I didn't want it to get the best of me. So, in order to save the fabric I already used I started attacking it with my rotary cutter. I ended up with a couple long pieces, and several thin ones.  I sewed the long pieces together to make one long scarf about 100" long and 6" wide and then sewed a very thin hem along all sides.
I knew I needed to cover up the seams I had just created to make more length. I took some of the small thin pieces, sewed a basting stitch on my machine, then pulled one end to ruffle it. The first one turned out great! I really liked the almost tattered uneven look. So I made several more and tacked them down with a few hand stitches here and there. Take that failed sewing project. I made something out of you all on my own.


Wait...there's more....

For a birthday present recently, I made a flower pin with feathers. It was inspired by this pin from Chicos. The retail price is $38.

This project was pretty quick and easy.

Supplies:
Felt
Flower of your choice
Feathers (mine were from Hobby Lobby $1.99)
Alligator Clips
Glue gun
Sewing machine, or thread and needle
Scissors
Pin Back

1. Cut felt into a circle about two and a half inches in diameter. I used a lid to trace the circle about the same size as the flower. Then cut a small piece of felt about 1.5" by 0.5". Pin that in the center of your circle. I then sewed along the long sides of the small piece of felt. Be sure to leave the short sides open.

2. Pop flower off of plastic stem. Set aside.

3. Begin placing feathers on felt. Once you like the placement, hot glue feathers in place. Then glue flower on top of feathers.

4. Almost done. Take metal pin back and hot glue to top of felt. Then attach alligator clip to felt. You can use alligator clip to place pin in hair, or add to lapel of clothing. The other bonus of the felt piece- remove alligator clip and slide a basic headband in, and position pin as desired on your head.


All done!


Please let me know if that was unclear or if there are any questions. I'm linking up with Sew Dang Cute for their Crafting with the Stars contest. This is my audition :) Click the button below if you want to check it out. There are soooo many cute entries!




2 comments:

Mrs. Blimes said...

So So crafty!!! Awesome scarf!!! And I would totally rock that pin in my hair!

Brett M said...

Love your stuff! Congrats on taking the project-attempt into an original and so cute scarf!