6.15.2010

Something new

So, here are some things I'm working on...The crafting bug has bitten. I took a trip to Joanns the other day. It's roughly 12 miles away, so I don't frequent it very often. On this last trip I stumbled upon the jewelry making aisle. It was kind of dangerous. I might be addicted. My problem with accessories is that I never want to spend much money on them. I always think everyone looks so cute with those statement necklaces and hair pieces, but if it is over $10, forget it. Maybe I'm cheap, I like frugal better. I'd rather save that money and buy another piece of clothing eventually. Agreed? So, the more blog browsing I do the more I thought jewelry might not be that difficult. So, I started very simple.


Cool right? This all was inexpensive, made even cheaper when you use a gift card. Score. I put three "pearls" on a head pin, then used the pliers to bend the remaining part of the pin into a loop. Second, using the pliers I opened up the loop on the fish hook and put the pearls on. You just use the pliers one last time to make sure everything is snug. I was almost jumping when I was finished. I made earrings! I dare say they may have cost like a $1 to make. I showed them to Gabe and he told me they looked expensive, I think he was impressed.

So, since I had the supplies, I wanted to make more. I found this idea from trey and lucy for lace trim earrings. The spool of lace I bought for $2.50, then I just proceeded to cut some of the designs out of the silk.

Saved the best for last. I saw a dollar tree on the way to Joanns and stopped in to look around. Have you been in a dollar tree lately? I found great stuff. Including a pack of three headbands, for you guessed it, $1. I am picky about headbands. I have a funny head, a little mishaped I guess you could say, I'll tell you about that later if you don't know that story. Anyway, these were great, thin and very flexible. Then, I thought they were the perfect kind of headband to experiment with, maybe I could fancy them up a bit.

So, I took a silk flower that I found at Joanns, and popped off all the plastic and wire until I was left with just petals. Then I arranged them so they were pleasing to my eye then hand stitched more of my "pearls" in the center of the flowers using clear thread. I saved some of the petals for future projects.
Then I used hot glue to attach them to the headband. I about died. How cute.

Now, what to wear it with? I'll take better pics when I wear it out somewhere. Maybe a performance or church or something. It's been a productive day :)

7 comments:

Kim said...

SO ADORABLE!!! I'm in love with the headband! How fun!

Katie and John Newman said...

So cute! I wish I could be creative!

Nama said...

How cute! I seriously would buy all 3 of those creations from you...but only if there were under $10. ;) I'm so glad that you've finding awesome things to occupy all your time in Iowa! Please, keep sharing.

Brett M said...

So cute! You did a great job! Wish I could jump in and join you.

Linda and Cathy said...

so cute, I am so proud of you! Love Mom

Unknown said...

You have such a talent! Very impressive. I'm loving all these ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Shells said...

so cute. I LOVE the headband. Oh and the little onesies you made are ADORABLE.