7.12.2010

Singing for your dinner

Remember how I told you about Gabe singing a  Masters Recital? Remember how I told you that he sang Carlisle Floyd's Pilgrimage, and how if you ever got the chance to ask him to sing it for you?

Guess who Gabe got to sing Pilgrimage for?

Mr. Carlisle Floyd.

The composer who is world famous for writing American opera. Check him out on wikipedia. He's a big deal.

Mr. Floyd flew into Des Moines to see his full length opera, Susannah, which is being performed on the mainstage here. It is a beautiful piece. Coincidentally, Mr. Floyd worked at Florida State University and University of Houston for a time. When Gabe was a sophomore at FSU, Susannah was performed for a 50th anniversary of the production. It was one of the first operas I had ever seen and I fell in love. I was so excited to hear that Des Moines was putting it on this year. So, they welcomed Mr. Floyd to see it. The director here asked Gabe to sing some selections from Pilgrimage at the welcome dinner because he knew Gabe had just done the piece. The dinner was held in the tallest building downtown on the top floor. Gabe went on and on about the food. It wasn't the first time he has sung for his dinner.
So, here are some pics...




Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

We just got back from Nauvoo. It was amazing, we loved it! Pics and stories to come. Need to edit pics first. Hope you all had a happy Monday!

1 comment:

Nicole Stacy said...

How awesome is that!?! My husband loves Opera and I don't mind it myself, we have not a clue as to whom is whom or who is saying what, but we do enjoy a good listen in between kids yelling. So excited, I feel as though you guys are living this really cool "celeb" life, glad you're having a blast and seizing the day!