7.14.2010

Nauvoo

I have had trouble putting this post into words. Everytime I type something it somehow feels inadequate to explain what we experienced while we were in the City Beautiful. Some adjectives just aren't enough.

So, I've decided to let the pictures speak for themselves (for the most part).


Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Next stop, wagon ride through historic Nauvoo. One of my favorite parts of the day. Missionary couples take you on a ride and tell stories along the way and point out favorite spots to tour later in the day.

Here is some of what we saw...
Photobucket

(Left to right)
Home of Joseph Smith,  Red Brick House where the Relief Society was founded, 
Home of John Taylor, Barge used to cross the Mississippi

Photobucket
Then we walked around or drove our car to see more. Gabe made rope at the Family Living Center. Then we went to the blacksmith shop. Those Elders have soooooo much fun! They made us some souvenirs. I got a "prairie diamond ring" and Gabe got a mini horse shoe. 

A few more favorites...
Photobucket
The pioneers made many significant sacrifices for religious freedom. It was inspiring to hear their stories and see first hand how they lived.

"We'll find the place which God for us prepared,
Far away in the West,
Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid;
There the Saints shall be blessed.
We'll make the air with music ring,
Shout praises to our God and King;
Above the rest these words we'll tell-
All is well! All is well!"

Third verse "Come, come ye saints" Text: William Clayton 1814-1879

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I Christina, I just found you through the Blimes Times, and what a nice visit I've had here. I think it's so neat that you travel around w/ your husband as he performs, and I really enjoy opera too! Now, don't ask me any detailed questions about it or anything-I've only been to one full-length, but I play the piano, and really like classical operatic music-plus my musical life has been intertwined w/ amazing vocalists.- Maybe we'll have some things in common? I'd love to get to know you if you're looking for new friends :-) Drop me a line if you'd like to chat!