12.14.2009

Snow


Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glint on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle, gentle autumn rain

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep
When you awake in the morning hush
I am the sweet uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight
I am the soft, soft starlight, starlight at night
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep"



Whenever I see snow, I hear this poem in my head. It snowed last winter too, never could have imagined that it would happen again in Texas. It was beautiful to see it fall.


My Grandma "S" used to carry that poem in her wallet. She would think of my Grandpa when she read it. He was taken away from her too soon. After she died I used to look at it a lot too. Since then, every time I see snow, I think of her. I think of all my grandparents.


I mentioned in a earlier post that when my mom was here, Gabe sang a song at one of his concerts- this poem set to music. It was a surprise for my Mom and I. It was incredibly moving and emotional. It seemed unreal to be reading this text, and hearing it come from his mouth so beautifully. My heart felt full. As I watched him, I felt a confirmation that he was my true companion. I knew it, I've always known it. But the Lord likes to remind me from time to time.


Love you all. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Brett M said...

Wow--that is so incredibly sweet. How wonderful to have so many great memories tied to a poem. And such a thoughtful husband!