8.09.2009

Amish Friendship Bread and Saturday Lunches










My friend Julia gave me a zip-lock bag last Sunday with a gooey mixture inside. She told me it was a starter for Amish friendship bread and that I needed to follow the instructions and in a few days I would make bread. Wow, I thought. I have never made bread before. Gabe's mom makes amazing wheat bread during the holidays every year and Gabe used to eat homemade bread a lot as a kid. I was perfectly fine with Nature's Made honey wheat. (Still am) When we first got married we had some spoiled milk in the fridge and Gabe very sweetly said "Oh honey, save it. You can make some bread with that." To which I said (very sweetly), "Gabe I'm not sure about you...but I do not make bread." Three and a half years later, I made bread with the help of my friend Julia. And guess what...it was very good, and Gabe loved it. (insert smile of satisfaction)

Since Gabe's return home we have been making the most of our weekends. Typically during the school year he is always busy with rehearsals and I find myself at the mall most Saturdays. Lately we have been waking up and going to the gym together. I have introduced Gabe to pilates. Yes, I have. He liked that too. He did moan a few times, just like the rest of us but I think he walked away finding a new appreciation for how difficult it really is. Gotta love free family days at the gym. Then, off to lunch to load up on calories again. Below is a priceless pic of Gabe sinking into a pastrami sandwhich at his new favorite place. Kenny and Ziggy's.

It was huge.
He ate it all, then some of mine.
Love him.

2 comments:

Kelsy and Brad said...

I love that place!!! We should go on a double date there one night!

Linda and Cathy said...

Love your post. You have a knack for writing them. So cute. Love, Mom