4.07.2009

The Opera Singer

My husband is an opera singer.


I'm going to stop telling people that he is "training" to be a singer because I am convinced he is already there. I'm starting to understand that other people believe this as well. Grapes of Wrath was unbelievable.
On Friday, April 3, the composer of the opera, Ricky Ian Gordon, was there to see the show. I went to a lecture that he gave before the opera about his career and the story of how the opera was "born." It was very compelling and made me even more excited to see the show. He has had a pretty amazing career and this opera proves to be a continued success even premiering less than two years ago. It's pretty long, running at three hours minus the two intermissions but it was all worth it. Gabe was phenomonal. In fact, a writer for the Houston Chronicle thought so as well....read here

As if that wasn't cool enough we found out today that the same article was printed in another publication in California, called the California Chronicle and was featured on the website, Operanews.com. It's popping up everywhere!!!!

Here are some pictures from the show...Opening scene, "The last time it rained"

Gabe and his good friend Jack who played Casey, the preacher

Tom Joad gets out of prison and comes home to the devastation, here he sees his mom for the first time

On the road to California

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your husband is a MAJOR TALENT and was a magnificent Tom Joad...congratulations to you and him! xxxooo Ricky Ian Gordon

Gabe and Christina said...

My goodness, what an amazing comment!! I can't believe you found our little blog! We hope to see you in the future!
Christina and Gabe

Alex and Garrett said...

Gabe and Christina - That's great! It sounds like you had a fabulous performance. We hope to see you perform one of these days. I know I'm looking forward to it. Christina - we're sorry you missed you in town last weekend, it would have been great to catch up!