6.07.2010

The jail

You read that write, the jail. In this little town of Indianola, I had to go to the jail to get my fingerprints done. No, not because I am a criminal, it's because I am a nurse and the state of Kentucky won't let me be a nurse without a background check. Poo. I did this a few years ago in Tallahassee, the state of Texas wanted the same thing. I went to the Tallahassee Police Department, signed in on a waiting list, waited 20 minutes, paid a few bucks and I was done. They only did it on certain days, but that didn't bother me. No big thing. I kind of thought I might go through a similar experience here. I thought wrong. On Friday I called the police station here and this is how that conversation went...

Me: Hello, I need to get fingerprints done for a nursing license, can I do that at your office?
Operator: No you need to go to the jail, here is there number 512--------, click.
(the jail)
Me: Hello, I need to get fingerprints done for a nursing license, can I do that there?
Operator: (huge sigh) well, I guess.....
Me: Sooooooo, are there certain times that are better to come in?
Operator: (huge sigh) well, are you coming like, today? Because it it's today it would have to be after 1pm.
Me: Well, no, actually I was wondering if I could come Monday.
Operator: I guess, still have to come after 1-2pm.
Me: K, thanks for all your help.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

So, today was the big day. Gabe was in the car, I told him I would be back in a few. Went to the third floor of the court house, or the jail. Elevator door opens...sitting right in front of me is a felon with a bright orange suit and a cop asking him questions. It happened to be the smallest lobby in the entire country and I just stood there about a two feet away from the man. I was weireded out, scared, creeped, you name it. Felon walks away, to jail. Another cop asks what I need, I explain, and he was very nice. Took down my information, was a bit confused as to why I was in Iowa but when I mentioned the opera he understood. Another cop comes around and takes me to the fingerprint area, meanwhile shutting all the doors around us.

Cop: If I don't shut these doors, they might start hollering at you.
Me: Great, thanks

Fingerprints are done, thank goodness and I leave. The end. Then I thought, I could write about this on the blog...sorry no pics inside the courthouse. I bet you really would have wanted to see what the felon looked like, right?

No comments: